Attention: For optimal viewing, please use Firefox or Google Chrome. This website is not fully supported by Internet Explorer.

Who we oversee

Can we investigate your complaint?

The Ombudsperson can investigate provincial and local government organizations, including:

  • Provincial Ministries
  • Crown Corporations
  • Health Authorities and Hospitals
  • Boards, Commissions and Tribunals
  • Public Schools, Universities and Colleges
  • Local Government bodies (including Municipalities and Regional Districts)
  • Organizations that regulate professions

Organizations we can’t investigate include:

  • Federal government or programs
  • BC Ferries
  • Police (municipal or federal)
  • Courts and Judges
  • Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy

We also can’t investigate concerns about the creation of new programs or provincial legislation. The Ombudsperson’s role is to investigate whether government programs are administered fairly in terms of how they directly impact individuals; not whether a program should or should not exist.

If you’re looking for legal advice or an advocate, please click here for more information.

Our Complaint Checker tool can help guide you. The tool provides specific information about the organizations we get enquiries and complaints about most often, including whether we can or can’t investigate. It also provides details on how you can raise your complaints about specific organizations. Please know we ask that you to try to resolve your complaint with the organization first as it is often a more effective and efficient process. If that’s not possible for you, please contact us.

The complaint checker doesn’t cover every organization under our jurisdiction but it does include information for over 70% of the complaints and enquiries we receive. If the organization your complaint is about is not listed, contact us directly to find out how we can help.